Katie Blackburn

Latest On Bengals-Trey Hendrickson Talks

When the Bengals finally signed wide receivers Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins to long-term extensions, it appeared that defensive end Trey Hendrickson would be next to cash in.

Reports indicated that the Bengals had engaged with Hendrickson on contract talks and took the possibility of a trade “off the table.”

Since then, though, negotiations have gained little traction. At league meetings in Florida, Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn said that she “doesn’t know what will happen” with Hendrickson, per Kelsey Conway of the Cincinnati Enquirer. Blackburn then put some of the blame for the lack of progess on Hendrickson.

“I think he should be happy at certain rates that maybe he doesn’t think he’d be happy at,” she said on Tuesday (via Conway). “I think some of it is on him to be happy at some point, and if he’s not, you know, that’s what holds it up sometimes. So, you know, it takes him to say yes to something.” Blackburn then added that the Bengals “have all the respect in the world” for Hendrickson, calling him a “great player” and saying that the team is “happy to have him.”

Hendrickson expressed frustration and confusion about Blackburn’s comments during an appearance on the Pat McAfee Show.

“The one thing I was hoping was an April Fool’s joke was that article,” said Hendrickson. That was a little disappointing, because communication has been poor, that’s something that I hold in high regard. They have not communicated with my agent directly. It has been…a little bit frustrating.”

Hendrickson also took umbrage with Blackburn’s uncertainty about the future and characterization that the ball is in his court.

“To read what I read yesterday was confusing, like it’s my decision,” he said. “I would’ve been willing to sign three years ago, two years ago, and this year. It was communicated to me that we would get something done this year.”

Hendrickson said that he doesn’t want to be the highest-paid player at his position. He was also willing to wait for Chase and Higgins to sign before the Bengals turned their attention to his deal.

“We don’t have any desires of being highest-paid or first in line,” he said.“We try to be as patient as possible.”

Hendrickson didn’t offer any specific terms that he was seeking, but repeated his desire for a long-term deal with significant guarantees.

“I’m not willing to play for incentives that will be out of my control,” he said, suggesting that he would not sign a contract with incentives for team success in the regular season or the playoffs. “I don’t think I want to play for a short-term contract and see where it goes.”

Hendrickson also mentioned the departure of Bengals defensive captain, Sam Hubbard, pointing out the team’s leadership void ahead of OTAs and hinted that he may not attend without a new contract.

AFC Notes: Pouncey, Bengals, McCourty

While Mike Pouncey‘s initial recovery timetable from hip surgery suggested he’d miss the first month of the season, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the veteran center may not return for a few more weeks after that. According to Salguero, Pouncey’s rehab could extend into late October, meaning he’d miss nearly half the regular season.

Meanwhile, extension talks between Pouncey and the Dolphins have been put on hold for now, says Salugero (via Twitter). Besides the fact that Pouncey, who turns 25 tomorrow, isn’t healthy, it’s still a little early to make serious progress on a new contract, considering the team has exercised its fifth-year option for 2015. So far, no 2011 first-rounders have signed extensions, since their teams still have most of the leverage.

Here’s more from around the AFC:

  • For years, Bengals owner Mike Brown has served as the team’s de facto general manager, but speaking to reporters – including Joe Danneman of Fox19 – Brown said yesterday that his daughter Katie Blackburn and head coach Marvin Lewis are now running the franchise (Twitter link). As Paul Dehner of the Cincinnati Enquirer details, Brown still has the final say on personnel decisions, but typically follows the lead of Blackburn and Lewis.
  • A report in early June suggested extension talks between the Patriots and safety Devin McCourty had gotten underway, but according to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald (via Twitter), there have been no new talks since that initial dialogue. Regardless, McCourty isn’t phased by heading into the regular season on an expiring deal.
  • Focusing on how contract situations may affect players’ roster security, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe breaks down the Patriots who may be on the hot seat as roster cuts approach.
  • Terez A. Paylor of the Kansas City Star consults cap expert Joel Corry to determine whether or not the Chiefs will be able to lock up both Jamaal Charles and Justin Houston to new long-term contracts. The answer: Yes, though the team will have to be careful about how it spreads out the money on the cap.