Geno Smith

Extra Points: MJD, Britt, Smith, Jets

Maurice Jones-Drew is currently looking for about $3.5MM per year on his next deal, tweets Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com. Even though the former Jaguars star has accomplished great things throughout his career, finding big money as an older tailback in this market could prove to be tough. More from around the NFL..

  • Don’t bank on the Cowboys signing Jared Allen, says Albert Breer of the NFL Network (Twitter links). Breer’s understanding is that it was an either/or proposition when it came to Allen and Henry Melton, whom Dallas signed earlier this week. That could change if Allen’s asking price comes down, however.
  • The Bills and Panthers have expressed interest in wide receiver Kenny Britt and visits may be taking place with those teams, agent Pat Dye Jr. tells Alex Marvez of FOX Sports 1 (via Twitter). Dye says a short-term deal for Britt, who has already checked in with the Redskins, Rams, and Patriots, is likely.
  • On SNY (via Manish Mehta of the Daily News on Twitter), Jets coach Rex Ryan gave Geno Smith quite the endorsement. “Make no mistake about it: Geno Smith is going to be hard to beat out. I don’t care who we add,” Ryan said.
  • The Jets have expressed a desire to re-sign guard Vlad Ducasse, but Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com (on Twitter) sees him signing with the Bengals or Vikings.
  • In addition to the Jets, the Panthers and Raiders have also called the Eagles about DeSean Jackson, tweets Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. There seems to be a healthy amount of interest in the 27-year-old.
  • Former Browns All-Pro safety T.J. Ward indicated via Twitter that Cleveland’s new brass really didn’t want him back. “Quotes get misunderstood all the time,” the new member of the Broncos wrote. “Just FYI. Cleveland offered me nothing. Boom! There u have it. #GoBroncos.
  • The Panthers are working out receivers Kevin Cone, Lestar Jean, and C.J. Akins, tweets Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer. Aikins spent time with the Rams in 2013.
  • Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey told SiriusXM NFL Radio (on Twitter) that he’s not done shopping just yet. “Free agency never closes. We’re always looking to add more players.

Jets, Bucs, Bears Have Interest In McCown

March 2: McCown reiterated to Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune that he would prefer to remain with Chicago “so long as an agreeable deal materializes.” Such a deal would of course include a raise over the $865K salary he received last season, but McCown is also seeking an opportunity to showcase his experience and leadership. McCown insisted, however, that he could accomplish those goals without being a starter. That could come as welcome news to teams like the Jets and Bucs, who are looking for a capable insurance plan and legitimate camp competition for their young QBs.

February 24: While McCown may be on the Jets’ wish list, the signal-caller will also draw strong interest from the Bears and Buccaneers, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link).

February 23: The Jets are eyeing free agent QB Josh McCown, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. After his strong performance in relief of the injured Jay Cutler last year, McCown figures to have a number of suitors for his services when free agency opens March 11, and the Jets appear ready to throw their hat into the ring.

Although McCown has expressed his desire to stay in Chicago, and although the Bears have said they would do everything they could to fulfill that desire, teams in need of a backup QB or teams that have a questionable starter at the position could look at McCown as a solid veteran option. The Raiders, who have no clear long-term solution at quarterback, and the 49ers, who may have a need for a backup QB with Colt McCoy an impending free agent, have been named as potential landing spots.

The Jets, meanwhile, have high hopes for second-year QB Geno Smith but hope to have a more settled situation behind him in case he falters. Last year, David Garrard was never viewed as a realistic option when Smith struggled, and Matt Simms–who was the “official” backup–had even less experience than Smith. McCown would give the Jets a viable alternative if Smith consistently underperforms in 2014, and he at least would provide legitimate competition in camp.

Jets Notes: Sanchez, Smith, Pace, Cromartie

Jets head coach Rex Ryan and general manager John Idzik both spoke to the media today in Indianapolis. Here are some of the highlights:

  • Ryan and Idzik sidestepped questions about whether or not Mark Sanchez will be back with the Jets in 2014. However, Izdik indicated that he believes Sanchez still can be a starting-caliber NFL quarterback, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post (Twitter link).
  • The Jets didn’t commit to Geno Smith as the starting quarterback in 2014, but Ryan was much more effusive in his praise for Smith than Sanchez, notes Brian Costello of the New York Post.
  • Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News passes along a few of Ryan’s and Izdik’s noncommittal quotes on Sanchez’s future, including the head coach insisting that he wants all of his players to return, and the GM maintaining that Sanchez is making “very good progress” in shoulder rehab.
  • Within Mehta’s piece, Ryan also expressed a desire to bring re-sign free agent linebacker Calvin Pace and suggested that it would be hard to replace Antonio Cromartie if the team decided to make the veteran defensive back a cap casualty.
  • Izdik didn’t shoot down the idea that the club could consider drafting a quarterback in the first round, tweets Hubbuch.
  • The Jets likely won’t make any of their veteran cuts until they absolutely have to, according to Izdik (Twitter link via Hubbuch).